Contact Me Today (678) 661-9585


Crime victims can often pursue civil claims in Georgia — The Armond Firm, LLC

Posted by Richard Armond | Sep 21, 2017 | 0 Comments

Attorney Richard Armond of The Armond Firm, LLC, is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Based in Gwinnett County, he handles serious injury and wrongful death cases throughout metro Atlanta and the State of Georgia. Call him for a free consultation at (678) 661-9585.

When you have been injured physically, emotionally, or mentally as a result of another person committing a crime against you, in many instances under Georgia law you can recover damages from the criminal, and, depending on the facts, other potential responsible parties. Georgia law has statutes such as O.C.G.A. § 51-1-6 which creates a cause of action when the law requires a person to refrain from doing an act which may injure another and the other person suffers damage. This statute is just one limited example in Georgia law where criminal acts can be the basis for a civil lawsuit.

Why is that important? Many crime victims suffer damages whether physical, emotional, and mental as a result of being victimized by violent criminals. As a former prosecutor with major felony trial experience, attorney Richard Armond routinely sought and received judgments ordering restitution to be paid to crime victims. It is important to realize, however, that a personal injury attorney may be able to collect damages far beyond what is ordered in the criminal justice system. In criminal cases it is typical for the State to seek only quantifiable monetary loss, most often seen in property damage cases and in injury cases up to out of pocket loss for medical bills. Pain and suffering, mental distress, and the long-term effects of injuries caused by violent criminals can often far exceed the amount of restitution that is ordered in a criminal case.

A personal injury attorney such as Richard Armond can review the case of a Georgia crime victim to determine if there are far greater damages to collect. If, for example, a crime occurred on unsafe premises of a company, or if the criminal committed his act while in the employment of a corporation, far greater damages may be able to be recovered than through criminal restitution.

If you are a crime victim or have a loved one injured or killed in a crime contact attorney Richard Armond at (678) 661-9585 for a free consultation.

The information above is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice, nor does the reading of it form an attorney-client relationship. Always consult directly with an attorney for legal advice.

About the Author

Richard Armond

Contact attorney Richard C. Armond at (678) 661-9585 for a free consultation. Experience: Trial Attorney, The Armond Firm, LLC, May 2017 to Present Assistant District Attorney, Gwinnett County District Attorney's Office, January 2011 to May 2017 Senior/Supervising Assistant District Attor...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Me Today

The Armond Firm LLC is committed to answering your questions about Personal Injury and Estate Law issues in Georgia.

I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact Me today to schedule an appointment.

The Armond Firm, LLC, all rights reserved. Attorney Richard C. Armond is licensed in the State of Georgia. This website is for informational purposes only and no information on this site should be taken as legal advice, nor does any use of the information constitute an attorney-client relationship with any visitor to the site. Always seek legal advice from a licensed attorney.